2-in-1 Devices = One of a Kind Opportunity
Lenovo is investing heavily in 2-in-1 detachables and we need you.
While detachable hardware has been out in market for a while, the creative and technological possibilities for this growing segment are seemingly endless. Together with your ingenuity, Lenovo and the LenovoDev team are poised to be big players in this space.
LenovoDev is on the lookout for new and exciting apps, optimized for the 2-in-1 detachable/tablet PC form factor.
Video content creation apps, games, productivity apps, music editing apps and more. We want it all. Bring us your very best ideas and partner with a global PC manufacturer to capitalize on large-scale discovery and distribution opportunities. All you are limited by is your own imagination.
- Below, learn about recent market trends, 2-in-1 development considerations and explore Lenovo’s growing 2-in-1 product portfolio.
- Plus, visit our tools section at the bottom of this page to access everything you’ll need to develop or port your app for 2-in-1 devices, including coding best practices, educational resources and coding demo videos.
2-in-1 Facts and Figures
- 2-in-1 detachable/tablet PC shipments are expected to eclipse desktops and portables by 2019
- According to IDC, 2-in-1 shipments are forecast to grow 2.6% per year to 269M units by 2019
- By 2020, 2-in-1 tablets will span 30% of the PC market
When developing or porting an existing app for 2-in-1 detachable devices, it’s important to answer the following questions to ensure that it meets the basic function criteria required of this unique form factor.
Is it dynamic?
Is your application capable of switching from one configuration to another, seamlessly and instantaneously? Once a user detaches a screen and switches from clamshell mode to tablet, he or she expects the app experience to follow, without any waiting period.
Is it continuous?
When a user switches modes, data needs to carry over without interruption. Users want to continue gaming in a secondary mode, they want to continue editing a music video or finish content creation. Whatever your app empowers, it needs to deliver a continuous experience in any mode.
Does the app detect a switch?
The UI in laptop or clamshell mode is different from that in tablet mode. As a developer, you’ll need to ensure that your app has the ability to detect when a mode switch has occurred and compensate accordingly. Different controls and functions may need to move or adjust based on the mode a user selects. The power to react to change in an instant is vitally important.
Lenovo Shines in 2-in-1
IdeaPad Miix 700
Designed for work and play and for those who dare to be different.
- Flip effortlessly between laptop and tablet modes thanks to a unique watchband hinge
- Watch movies on a crisp, 12” FHD + (2160 x 1440) display or meet deadlines with a detachable folio tablet
- System supports Active Pen technology (pen sold separately), allowing users to draw, write, edit, and compose documents as if they were using a pen and paper
ThinkPad X1 Yoga
An ultra-durable 2-in-1 business ultrabook, with 4 flexible modes to work, present, create, & connect.
- Ultralight at just 2.8 lbs., with a stunning 14" 2K touch screen display, with optional OLED technology
- Includes a dockable stylus pen that recharges when connected—just 15 seconds of charging provides up to 100 minutes of use
- Features Lenovo's exclusive WRITEit technology, allowing users to enter handwriting into any input field across hundreds of apps